Audrain Automobile Museum

Ivo Miguel Ferreira

Portalista
Portalista
Venho partilhar o site e os videos deste museu que costumo seguir principalmente pela excelente base histórica que apresentam. O edificio de exposição é fantástico bem como os carros da coleção quer temporária quer a permanente.

Vou colocar também alguns vídeos para apreciar.


Museum​

willy-k-1901-renault.jpg

Founded in 2014 in Newport, Rhode Island with a mission of "Preserving, Celebrating & Sharing Automotive History," the Audrain Automobile Museum connects and engages with other local non-profits and the greater Aquidneck Island community.
The historic Audrain Building was transformed into a captivating exhibition space, fit specifically for our cultural needs. The museum, with access to collections containing over 350 cars and motorcycles ranging from brass era pre-War cars to Supercars of the 2000s, displays three or four fresh and thematic exhibits each year, to entertain all generations and stylistic preferences.
America’s love affair with automobiles is intrinsic, and Newport’s place in the history of the automobile is essential. The museum supports and educates the Aquidneck Island community through programs and car events, including the Audrain Newport Concours & Motor Week, "A Celebration of History, Luxury, & Sport," held each year in early October.
As the Audrain Automobile Museum continues to grow, so does its status as a must-stop destination for both car enthusiasts and Newport visitors alike.

Community Outreach​

The Audrain Automobile Museum is committed to partnering with other local non-profit organizations to better the Aquidneck Island community. The museum’s past and current charitable partners include, among others: The Newport Preservation Society, Newport Historical Society, Redwood Library & Athenaeum, Norman Bird Sanctuary, Newport Art Museum, Boys & Girls Club of Newport County & Providence, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, Edward King House Senior Center, NewportFilm, Salve Regina University, Roger Williams University, Saint Michael’s Country Day School, Saint George’s School, Newport Hospital, and the American Heart Association.
The museum has cross-promoted exhibits with the Redwood Library & Athenaeum, sponsored ‘High Heels & Hot Wheels’ with the Newport Hospital, and worked closely with the Newport Preservation Society, Fort Adams State Park, and Salve Regina University for ‘Cars & Coffee’ and other events.
The museum has also created an internship program, which allows students from Newport Area Career & Technical Center’s Automotive Technology program, Salve Regina University, Roger Williams University, Saint Michael’s Country Day School and Saint George’s School to get involved with the non-profit community. The museum also promotes educational events, partnering with local summer camps and elementary schools for field trips and guided tours of the museum.
As a proud member of the car show community, the museum sends cars to and stages exhibits at events across the country and world, including: Northeast International Auto Show, British Motorcar Festival, Portsmouth Abby Car Show, Greenwich Concours d’Elegance, Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, New England International Auto Show, and Northeast International Auto Show.

Audrain History​

1939-alfaromeo-6c-01-840x600.jpg

A primary goal of the Audrain Automobile Museum has always been to acquire and preserve automobiles with historical significance to Newport. Lacking a suitable space, the Museum’s Founders sought to find a proper home for some of Newport’s most historically important automobiles. Defunct and outdated, the historic Audrain Building presented a perfect solution: a home for the museum and an opportunity to restore and preserve a key piece of architectural history.
Designed for Adolphe Audrain by noted New York architect Bruce Price in 1902, the Audrain Building represents one of the four Gilded Age buildings that form an architecturally significant block on Bellevue Avenue. Price drew inspiration from the Florentine Renaissance to create an iconic two-story edifice defined by broad arched windows and a roofline distinguished by polychromed terra-cotta ornament, crowned with a roof balustrade with lion finials. The first floor was originally designed to feature six retail shops and the second floor accommodated eleven offices. The hurricane of 1938 damaged the balustrade and lion sculptures, warranting their removal. By the early 21st century, the building was in desperate need of restoration.
 
OP
OP
I

Ivo Miguel Ferreira

Portalista
Portalista
Exibição atual:

Engineering + Design = Passion: The Nick Begovich Collection

November 20, 2021 – February 20, 2022

Dr. Nicholas Begovich was an engineer, a scientist, a philanthropist, a tinkerer, a car collector—but above all, he was an enthusiast. Dr. Begovich resided in Fullerton, CA, where he composed a significant car collection beginning in the early 1950’s and retained most, some purchased new, until his passing at the age of 98 in May 2020.
Nicholas and Lee Begovich donated 14 post-War sports cars to the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics at California State University, Fullerton, to benefit further gravitational wave, engineering, and computer science faculty and student research.
Among Dr. Begovich’s many brilliant accomplishments was the development of electronic scan radar, which experts consider to be equal to the development of radar itself.
Dr. Begovich had strong interests in both striking design qualities and advanced engineering technologies and solutions. For him, there was no better outlet to explore these pursuits than through automobiles, and he spent much of his free time in his workshop tweaking and seeking to improve the functionality of his cars.
Over the course of his ownership, Dr. Begovich was enthusiastic about driving, though he actually drove the cars minimally, with a selection of the cars showing less than 2,000 miles in the 60 years since they were built.
When the Begoviches donated the collection to Cal State Fullerton on February 29th, 2020, as a lead gift for a university fundraising campaign, they desired to keep the collection of cars together. The Audrain was fortunate to acquire the collection to preserve, drive, and share each car, highlighting Nick Begovich’s passion as expressed through his interest in engineering, design, and history.

1952 Jaguar XK120M Fixed Head Coupe

1952 Jaguar XK120M Fixed Head Coupe



1952 Talbot-Lago GSL

1952 Talbot-Lago GSL



1956 Porsche 356 Speedster

1956 Porsche 356 Speedster



1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SL “Gullwing”

1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SL “Gullwing”


1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder

1962 Chevrolet Corvair Monza Spyder



1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale

1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale


1964 Porsche Carrera GTS (904)

1964 Porsche Carrera GTS (904)



1964 ATS 2500 GTS
1964 ATS 2500 GTS


1967 Lamborghini Miura
1967 Lamborghini Miura


1970 Chevrolet Camaro SS
1970 Chevrolet Camaro SS


1973 de Tomaso Pantera
1973 de Tomaso Pantera


1974 Maserati Bora
1974 Maserati Bora
 
Topo